Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hug a Teacher Today

It didn't take long for our new President to come around and ask for reform in our schools. From my point of view, it is a long time overdue. I have to tell you, I am in a position to know several teachers personally, and they are a hard working bunch. Quite overlooked in the pay department and way undervalued for the services they render.

When you begin to think about how the school environment has changed and the challenges that teachers face coupled with the expectation that America must rise to the occasion and meet the scientific and economic challenges ahead of us, we have put them between the proverbial rock and a hard place. The best teachers in our institutions deserve the best pay our nation has to offer. There is not a single person of any success whatsoever that does not owe part of that success to a teacher along the way. It just doesn't happen without teachers.

I agree with the President that teachers should be treated like the professionals they are. I don't know any teachers that want their students to fail. Just sitting in a group listening to them discuss the challenges they face, you will instantly recognize that they have this super human ability to want their students to succeed. Most of them will hang in there with the student when others gave up on that child a long time ago, including their parents. Yes, I said it.

So today I encourage you to take the time to thank a teacher. Hug them, write them a note, let them know how much they meant to you along the way. And let's get behind the President and help him figure out how to reform the education system without punishing those great valuable angels sent to earth that we call "teachers".

1 comment:

  1. I still continually thank teachers that I see that taught my children. I also tried the teaching profession for a little over a year in my early 20s and it was not an easy job!

    ReplyDelete